Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Is The Culture The Culprit?

+3 HS
SoCarBuck's picture
September 24, 2021 at 1:11pm
134 Comments

Matt alludes to this in the Akron Roundtable discussion. He states that the feeling in the building was noticeably different when Day took over vs the Meyer years. Could it be that a major factor in the defense's woes are in part attributable to a lack of toughness in coaching?

Now, I haven't played a down of football since my sophomore year in college, back in the eighties (yes, I'm OG), but I know that culture is a top down thing. Meyer brought it. You can read about his practices at Bowling Green and Utah in the early days of his HC career. I understand you can't do that today, but have we swung too far in the opposite direction?  Some players already have the attitude, and will practice hard and play hard no matter what type of coaching they get. Others, not so much. All the talent in the world won't matter, especially on defense and the offensive line, if there is no "fire in the belly".

Ever watch video of Saban at practice? On the sideline? He isn't afraid to get in a player's face and let him know what's expected of him from time to time. I wonder if we have that  anywhere in our coaching ranks now. Doesn't have to be every coach (LJ is not that guy), but that fire has to come from somewhere. 

Am I just a crazy, outdated old guy? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 134 Comments