Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Do We Have Any WRs with Defensive/Nickel Back Experience?

-5 HS
IfNotBucksSparty's picture
February 6, 2021 at 9:17am
55 Comments

Just curious if anybody knows if any of our stud receivers played defensive back as well in H.S.  Seems crazy how we are struggling so much to get defensive skill players yet have an absolute abundance of offensive talent.

I'm wondering if one of our WR's thats far down on the depth chart has an opportunity for some occasional snaps at Nickelback.  I dont think the "bullet" is gonna last long.  The Nickel has been the fastest growing defense in CFB bc of how much teams air the ball out, yet we dont have the personnel for it and have been moving away from it, with arguably disastrous results (4LB's in the Natty)

Before you get into "ohio state is too talented to have players play both ways" you should consider how some teams had to fill voids this past season and it worked out ok. tcu had to START WR's @ DB bc the Rona hit their DB room hard.  They still managed to win a rivalry game against Texas, who had much more composite talent all over the field.

Even if we only use the WR in the nickel in garbage time, i would think keeping another stud receiver happy, who is waiting his turn behind Olave (which I'm sure few expected to return), might not be a bad idea and worth taking a few snaps from our young LB's.  Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 55 Comments