Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Coaches with Connections to Ryan Day to Replace Mattison

+19 HS
Buckiowa's picture
January 23, 2021 at 3:58pm
91 Comments

Obviously, since Coach Mattison has retired, we need to hire a replacement. I think some of the names brought up haven't been especially realistic (Corey Raymond, anyone?) because we already have a DB coach that can coordinate in Kerry Coombs on staff. The Mattison replacement should be someone that would coordinate the front-7 mainly. In keeping with the Jeff Hafley hire, I looked for names of coaches that have ties to Ryan Day. Here's what I found.

1. Jason Tarver: Linebackers coach, Cleveland Browns

This seemed to be a pretty obvious fit to me. Tarver is really experienced, and yet not very old (he's 46). In the past, he's been the DC at Stanford, the Oakland Raiders, and Vanderbilt and also been a linebackers coach at many stops. He overlapped with Ryan Day for one year with the 49ers and has coached in college as recently as 2019. I'd love to see what he could do schematically with Ohio State talent.

2. Tem Lukabu: Defensive Coordinator, Boston College

Not a super experienced guy, but he's young, energetic, and has been part of a few successful defenses. He has experience coaching all over the defense, and was recently the LB coach for the Bengals. Hafley has called him a "rising star" in the coaching world, and he worked as a defensive quality control guy on the 2016 49ers with Ryan Day.

3. Britt Reid: Linebackers Coach: Kansas City Chiefs

This is a longshot, but it's really cool. Reid is the son of Andy Reid, and he's coached both LBs and DL for the Chiefs in recent years. He's also really young and could be a cool addition, as those parts of the KC defense have played really well under him. He overlapped with Ryan Day when he was a GA at Temple in 2012 while Day was the offensive coordinator.

4. Mike Siravo: Linebackers Coach: Carolina Panthers

Also not super probable. Siravo has overlapped a ton with Ryan Day, at Temple in 2006 then through Day's stretch at Boston College from 2007-2011, but he's one of Matt Rhule and Phil Snow's "guys" and has been with them for the long haul. He has a lot of experience with linebackers, and was the recruiting coordinator while he was at BC. Results have followed; Baylor had a great defense while he was there, and he's coached Tyler Matakevich (Nagurski and Bednarik winner) and was named Footballscoop's 2016 LB coach of the year.

These are the few I found to be pretty promising. Other interesting names with  Ryan Day connections are:

Al Golden (LB Coach: Bengals), Bill McGovern (recently LB coach of the Giants), Jerry Azzinaro (DC: UCLA with DL experience), Ben Albert (Duke Co-DC/DL Coach).

Let me know if any other interesting names are out there. There weren't as many names simply because the BC defensive staffs that Day was on were mainly run by Don Brown, and also had Al Washington on them. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 91 Comments