Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Question About #45

+13 HS
ohioscott's picture
January 21, 2021 at 2:36pm
39 Comments

I was reading about Trey Sermon setting the single game rushing record and remembered at one time Archie Griffin held that record with 246 yards in 1973 against Iowa. I remember that record being broken by Keith Byars in 1984, then Eddie George in 1995, and now Mr. Sermon rumbling for 336 yards against Northwestern.

It got me to thinking about the career of #45 and I wondered what might have been? 

I wonder if anyone ever came up with the number of games Archie didn't play in the 4th quarter? Heck I remember a few games he didn't play in the 2nd half period. Not to mention the 869 carries that FB's Randy Keith, Champ Henson, Bruce Elia, and Pete Johnson got during Griffin's 4 years. Then of course there is the 504 times that QB's Greg Hare and Cornelius Greene carried the ball.

Archie did have 924 carries during his 4 years, but that is an average of 231 carries per year. Griffin is no where to be found in the single season top 10 rushing attempts at Ohio State. Keith Byars had 336 carries in 1984 to lead the list and Zeke, Raymont, and Tim Spencer are tied for 10th with 273 rushing attempts. The most Archie had was 262 his senior year.

I was a young punk during Archie's career and was just wondering if some of you thought that Griffin's 5'9" frame could have handled more carries? Maybe his success was because he did get plenty of time off during those 53-3 routs back when it was the Big 2 and Little 8. And maybe Ohio States success was due to the fact that the 3 yards and a cloud of dust was turned in to more like 8 yards and a ton of first downs because of successful running fullbacks and quarterbacks like Pete Johnson and Corny Greene. 

Anyways, forgive me for rambling and for meandering down memory lane. I'm not sure any of you have any interest in this topic, or even think there is an answer to be found in it. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments