Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Predictability on Defense?

+5 HS
Sloopy1976's picture
November 21, 2020 at 6:54pm
23 Comments

I saw the thread about our predictability on offense and thought I would create a similar thread for the defense because I feel this is our biggest issue. 

If you noticed, IU got consistent pressure on Fields by blitzing, usually up the middle, but varied their attack (stunts with interior DLine, stunts with LBs, straight blitzes but always in the A gap, etc.). Our defensive strategy wasn't nearly as exotic...as a matter of fact, it was a lazy defensive strategy and IMO a lazy coaching job by Coombs & Co.

Our defensive approach is to rush 4 and drop 7 and to rotate our D lineman to keep them fresh. However, IU threw the ball a million times and with a bland 4 man rush on every single down, they knew where the rush was coming from. There was no question of if/when the blitz was coming because it never came. I can't wait to rewatch the game to see how many blitzes we actually ran. In addition, math is simple. IU kept the RB in over 50% of passing plays, so they had a 6 to 4 advantage on us (6 blockers for 4 rushers). Imagine being a D lineman going hard on every down trying to get heat on the QB where there are only 4 of you (rested or not) and 6 blockers. It just doesn't work! 

Our DBs are going to make mental mistakes. They are young and the 3 chunk plays they gave up were mental errors and led to 14 points for IU. You can clean those up and the young guys will learn. However, rushing 4 is really putting pressure on the young DBs because they need to cover for an extended amount of time. 

I only remember 2 blitzes. We brought #21 off the corner on IU's first drive and Penix threw it into the ground. The second blitz Werner got the sack on 3rd down late in the 4th quarter. 

To me, the issue isn't predictability on offense (we scored plenty of points and had 650 total yards), its the predictability on defense. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments