Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Found This on a PSU Message Board.

+10 HS
airbuckeye's picture
November 8, 2020 at 6:05am
148 Comments

Before I post this I want to say that this tread is full of hair brain IDEA. One poster said that Bama/ Clemson / OU/ OSU and a few other teams should be made to wait a few weeks to offer HIGH School players untill everyone can try and even the playing field by offering kids first. Are they for real? here is the tread that start that post off.  

The sport is boring. The problem is that so much of the viewing population has zero rooting-interest. They're watching a Groundhog Day unfold every season.

We have a "rich get richer" problem in college football. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma.

In a broader sense, the "underclass" to those four are SEC powers like UGA, LSU, Florida and Auburn. The teams that garner the Top-10 recruiting classes every single year.

Then there are the rest of the middle heavyweights like Penn State, Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, FSU, USC. Faded glory. All of them. And with all that prestige the middle heavyweights have almost zero shot at beating the Bamas of the college football world. The talent gap in coaching and player talent is enormous.

It's not like the NFL. Where the draft, and the league salary cap keep the worst team within a few percentage points of variance from the best team. Anyone can beat anyone in the NFL. And does almost every week. Not so in college football.

So, we know the problem. It's boring. It makes the average fan feel detached. When is a Tennessee fan going to win it all? How about a Nebraska fan? GA Tech? See what I mean? How many coaches is Texas going to go through before it realizes that another national championship isn't in the cards for them?

Now, I know what you're going to say... dynasties existed before. FSU and Miami dominated the 1990s. As did Nebraska. In the 1980s it was Penn State and Oklahoma. And so on.

But never with this level of utter domination that Saban's Alabama is driving. I've been watching college football for 40 years and I've never seen such predictable results every season. Out of 130 teams, less than 5 have a legit shot at playoffs.

But how do you fix it? It's a free-market system, but only in the same sense that Bing can compete with Google. Or that RC Cola can take down Coca-Cola.

As fans, we are powerless. Just let it run its course? Because I'm bored. The results are predetermined every season. Penn State isn't going to the playoffs. I'm starting to realize that with yet another season where it's boys versus men when PSU plays OSU. And since OSU can't beat Clemson, we're TWO levels away from another natty.

It all just feels like a distant mirage. And it all comes down to college football inequality that seems unbreakable.

And the only idea I can come up with is to restrict the Top-5 finishers in the CFB playoff from being able to recruit until the last few weeks of the following year's cycle. As in... Bama, Clemson, OSU and OU have to sit on the sidelines while the rest of their competitors grab at the talent pool first. In other words, restrict Bama from taking visits and making offers until everyone else has had their chance. In my mind, it's the only way to bring back some semblance of parity. The NFL and NBA "punish" the top finishers with picking late in the draft.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 148 Comments