Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Mayors of B1G School Cities Ask Conference For More Safety Requirements

+5 HS
milhouse4588's picture
October 21, 2020 at 8:42am
12 Comments

KNOW the comments are going to get political about this. Please let's try not to make this a shit show. This most likely won't impact anything and there's no reason to start attacking each other over it. That being said...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Including the Mayor of Columbus, 11 of the B1G schools' cities have written a letter to the conference stating their concerns about gatherings during football games, especially as most states see an increase in cases.

They also want similar requirements around positivity rates that the football teams must stay under in order to practice/play games to be created for their communities.

No exact details but it would be something like "If <city> or <community around the school> has 5% positivity rate the team won't be allowed to practice/play".

“Please include the communities where you will be holding games in your conversations and assign a metric to this that is similar to what has already been laid out for your teams. We ask that you work with local and county health officials in these communities to define a population positivity rate, where hosting a football game that would bring increased activity into the community is no longer safe to do. We do not expect this metric to be in line with the current standard for the team; however, similar standards being applied to the communities this will affect is necessary to keep people safe.”

I, for one, think this is a bit insane. I am completely in favor of leaning towards safety and caution in order to get us our full football season (no fans? fine. daily testing? sure.), but putting the fate of a football team in the hands of hundreds of thousands who may not care about them at all is crazy. I understand that people will gather to watch games but you can't control an entire city because of a football team, or vice versa.

Down here in Atlanta I know the Ohio State Alumni Association has sent out a letter saying they are not allowed to officially host Alumni watch parties at the usual bar. This seems appropriate from the school's perspective to distance themselves from a potential gathering. But that's it.

Hopefully this doesn't change anything three days before kickoff, cmon!

Link to article: https://sports.yahoo.com/mayors-of-big-ten-cities-send-open-letter-to-conference-regarding-their-coronavirus-concerns-120853920.html

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 12 Comments