Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Best Year to Have Been Born a Buckeyes Fan: 1993?

+5 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
October 15, 2020 at 8:55am
71 Comments

I have long believed that one’s perspective as a fan is absolutely shaped by what you experienced growing up as well as the trajectory of your team’s fortunes/misfortunes during your lifetime.

For example, as a diehard Knicks fan, I had the great pleasure of seeing their championship era with some legendary players during my high school and college years.  But there are Knicks fans who have now turned 50 who will in all likelihood  have no memory whatsoever of the team’s last title in 1973—when they were 3 years old—and thus who have never experienced the ultimate high as a fan.

Of course, given my age and stage, this means that I had the privilege of experiencing the phenomenal 1968 Ohio State national championship squad.  

But Buckeyes fans born, in say, 1963, probably have no clear, lasting memories of that fabulous Rex Kern-led squad.  Some of their earliest vivid memories of Ohio State football might well be of the close calls—but no cigars—for nattys in 1973, 1974, and 1975.  

And, amazingly, their first experience of a national championship season would not have come until they were approaching 40!—in 2002.  And this would have come after the heartaches of the 1990s.  (Did a Buckeyes fan born in 1963 wonder in the 1990s: am I ever going to see a natty in my lifetime?)

So this got me to thinking: what is the best year to have been born if you’re a Buckeyes fan?  I have come to the conclusion that 1993 seems to be the sweet spot.

I say this, in part, because my earliest clear and lasting memories of following teams really goes back to when I was 8 years old.  So...an 8-year-old born in 1993 would have witnessed Tress’ first year and the victory in Ann Arbor.  And, as a 9-year-old in 4th grade, he or she would have experienced a perfect season and the Buckeyes’ first natty in 34 years!

And then: there is the streak against TTUN.  That fan born in 1993 would only know unprecedented success—17-2 in The Game.  Holy cow!

But maybe the best part yet: if that kid born in 1993 matriculated at The Ohio State University, his or her sophomore year would have been 2012, Urban’s first year and one of the few perfect seasons in the Ohio State history.  

And then senior year, there would be the storybook run to a natty in the first year of the CFP.  For icing on the cake, they might have been been in some classes with Cardale or some of the other players.

If anyone here was born in ‘93, all I can say is, consider yourself blessed—especially when you think about your good fortune in comparison to your dad or mom who was born in ‘63.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 71 Comments