Matt Miller/Bleacher report released their first mock for the 2021 draft. There are obviously some crazy things in here to disagree with but Matt normally is one of the better draft analysts in the media. A problem at this point is he has to project how everysingle one of these players will play this season, or would be valued if they dont get to be played. All in all though this is for the most part a really good early mock draft. Here are some of the more interesting notes(picks based on vegas):
- Lawrence goes #1 and this is a lock if Fields doesnt get a chance to play. Trey Lance at #2 is silly, would never happen, and is just for clicks. Miller has staked it early he will be the guy to say Lance is #2 for traffick. Not a single other analyst has entertained this.
- Bengals get LT Penei Sewell at #3 in what would be an absolute dream. Sewell would be a dominant LT for Burrow while also allowing Jonah Williams to move to RT his college position. The tackle positions would be solidified with not only great players but great personalities important to build a culture. In round 2 he has the Bengals drafting EDGE Joseph Ossai. He would replace Carl Lawson and be a really athletic edge pass rusher who has the ability to play in space if needed. IOL and CB are bigger needs so EDGE would be a little dissapointing.
- Justin Fields is #4 to Carolina. That would be a great fit for the inexperienced Fields to be able to sit behind Teddy Bridgewater.
- His Corner position rankings is different than the consensus. He has Caleb Farley, Patrick Surtain, and then Shaun Wade. If Wade is unable to play teams may struggle to bet on him without seeing any film of him playing as an outside corner.
- Miller has the Browns going CB Patrick Surtain in the first which is interesting considering they have Denzel Ward and Greedy Williams. Having a 3rd corner, especially a bigger one like Surtain is good to have with Burrow and Lamar in the division.
- Chris Olave is a late first rounder according to Miller.
- The 4th Buckeye in the first round is G Wyatt Davis
- All other B1G players in the first round(Micah Parsons, Rondale Moore, Rashad Bateman, and Jalen Mayfield) have already opted out of school. Something interesting to watch if the B1G is able to play in the fall.
- The biggest snub imo was Josh Myers who will very likely end up as a second rounder. His size, strength, and intangibles make him as close to a lock for a quality starting guard as you can get. If the Bengals draft Penei Sewell and Josh Myers I would be ecstatic.