Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Is A College Football Bubble Possible?

+1 HS
Hoody Wayes's picture
August 13, 2020 at 9:46am
10 Comments

It seems to me Dan Hope's RYAN DAY BELIEVES SPRING FOOTBALL SEASON CAN WORK WITH JANUARY START, EIGHT- OR NINE-GAME SCHEDULE underscores the central issue:  "[F]iguring out what the structure of the spring season will be..." If Day, Smith, Warren et al are truly considering a Spring 2021 season, does this or should this thought process include consideration of a collegiate bubble?

Logistical challenges to a collegiate bubble begin with venue/lodgings/etc., right? James Franklin's suggestion of of playing games in midwestern NFL domes is one idea. But, what about other conferences playing in domes? Could a collegiate bubble pass legal tests and gain approval from university administrators? 

I don't know if a consensus has developed among college players about the concept of a bubble. However, the players know - now - what it means to lose the opportunity to play. And I am sure the players can see the NHL is proving (fingers crossed) and may prove, ultimately, that a bubble works. Plus, we may have evidence of same if MLB and NFL implement bubbles during their playoffs.

Ian Rapoport's assertion the NFL would accommodate a Spring 2021 season is compelling. See https://www.elevenwarriors.com/skull-sessions/2020/08/115771/ohio-state-football-the-nfl-would-adjust-its-calendar-for-a-spring-season-the-ncaa-recommends-more-eligibility-due-to

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments