Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

If Jim Tressel Had Been Our Coach from 1993-2010, Now Many National Championships Would Ohio State Have Won?

+4 HS
GoBuckswin's picture
May 8, 2020 at 4:36pm
69 Comments

First, I admit I am rifting off of Miami Bucks forum post about if Urban had taken over in 2005.

For my hypo. question, picture that after the infamous tie in the 1992 edition of The Game, instead of saying what a "great win" that was for Ohio State, Gordon Gee said to himself "I can't live with a coach who is now 0-4-1 against TTUN." Cooper is then fired by Gee and a young coach most have not heard of before, Jim Tressel, is brought in to take over. 

Assume that tattoo gate still happens after the 2010 season and tressel is out at that point. So, he coaches 17 years at OSU instead of the 10 years he actually did. 

We all know that Cooper had perfect seasons going into the last game of the season in '93, '95 and '96. Also, MSU was his only loss in '98. Would Tressel have had the same star players on his team that Cooper brought in, and possibly run the table those years? Could he have have kept Charles Woodson in state and possibly he never plays for TTUN? Would he have been ready to be HC at OSU in '93 or did he need those additional years at YSU?

I would give Tressel four nattys--1995, 1996, 1998 and of course 2002. What do you all think? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 69 Comments