Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Buckeyes Make CFB History (In More Ways Than One)

+24 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture
December 8, 2019 at 3:28am
20 Comments

I've decided to dedicate this thread to a pair of records the Buckeyes have broken with the Wisconsin win, along with other records that could be set within the coming games.

Firstly, Ohio State becomes the first FBS team ever to go 10-0 in conference play in one season (suck it SEC and ACC, play a 9th conference game). The second record is something that absolutely mesmerized me. I've researched every historical powerhouse that comes to mind, including back in the 1800s and Fielding Yost eras when Michigan was last relevant, and haven't found a single team that had two consecutive coaches start out 16-0 at the same school. The closest team was Yale back in the 1890s. Walter Camp went 39-0, then his successor, William Rhodes, went 26-1, with his lone loss coming in his eleventh game. Meaning that the duo of Urban and Day have had the greatest coaching debuts at the same school in the history of the sport.

Now for potential records that could be broken. Justin Fields has a touchdown to interception ratio of 40:1. The best I could find was by Matt Blundin, a former University of Virginia QB, who threw for 19 TDs and 0 INTs during his 1991 season. While Fields can't go this entire season without throwing a pick, if the season ended today, he'd have the best TD to interception ratio in modern FBS history. If we want to look way ahead to next season, Fields now has 172 straight pass attempts without an INT. The FBS record is 444 set by Louisiana Tech's Colby Cameron from 2011-12. I won't be holding my breath on that one.

J.K. Dobbins now has 1,829 yards on the season. He is 99 yards from eclipsing Eddie George's 1995 single season school record of 1,927 yards. If they play Oklahoma, he might get that much in the first half. I'm only half kidding. If the Buckeyes make it to the national title, there's a great chance Dobbins goes over 2,000 yards this season. Dobbins also averages 140.7 yards per game rushing. If the season ended today, that would be the fifth most in one year in school history, behind only Archie in both 1973 and '74, Keith Byars in 1984, and Eddie George in 1995. George has the school record at 148.2 yards per game that season. And to add one more helmet sticker to his already congested head protector, Dobbins now has 20 rushing touchdowns this season, five shy of tying Pete Johnson's single season school record of 25 set back in 1975. If Dobbins goes on a Zeke-esque run during this playoff stretch, he could have the greatest statistical rushing season in OSU history. 

I'm certain there are more on the line. But I feel like I've paid my dues in researching all this. Thanks for reading.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments