Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

"Pick on Someone Else"

+9 HS
NoVAsmitty's picture
December 2, 2019 at 10:44pm
42 Comments

I actually don't think the comment was directed at me.  Rather, it was directed at our beloved Buckeyes after the latest beat down of Michigan.  It also got me thinking.  See, as the last seconds ticked down to 0:00 on this most recent glorious last Saturday of November, I couldn't resist sending a text to a friend who's a Michigan fan, "Well, you held us under 63 this year," I texted.  I hesitated to gloat, but after Don Brown's "they better be careful" and the pregame sweatshirts, I just couldn't resist.  I had held it in all season.  Yes, his reply was "pick on someone else," but it was followed by "put us in the West."  I didn't ask him why being in the West would make any difference.  After all, weren't they in the "Legends" and we were in the "Leaders" or vice versa?  Maybe not.  But it got me to thinking.  First, it's just more Michigan hubris.  I mean why would them being in the West make it any different?  Underlying that comment is the belief that if they were in the West, then they'd make it to Indy (to then most likely be dominated by the Buckeyes), but they also got dominated by Wisky this year, struggled against Iowa.  Second, there's more to it than that.  The reply was one of resignation.  They are beaten down as a fan base.  They are crying "uncle."  They know that the future is the past - the past two decades.  The twentieth century is a distant memory now.  This is what an entire generation of Michigan fans now knows as a fact of life.  

But it also got me to thinking about the Illibuck.  I've been a Buckeye fan for as long as I can remember.  Vaguely back to 1968, definitely 1970 (heartbreak).  I guess at one time Illinois was our other rival.  There's still a silly wooden turtle that we play for every four years (now).  I guess back in the days of Red Grange, they were a rival.  But they aren't now, and I don't recall them ever being our rival in my lifetime.  Since 2000, I believe that Michigan has the same number of wins against Ohio State as does Illinois.  

I saw a post by a PSU fan over on MGo saying that since the conference went to East/West, Ohio State is 34-2 against the Big Ten East.  If you go back to Urban's arrival, we are 46-2 against our divisional opponents (MSU was in the other division in 2013).  We are running the risk of turning the Big Ten into the ACC by ourselves.  Meh, who cares.  That's the other 13 teams' problem.  Penn State still plays us tough.  That's about it.  I'm not gloating.  I'm just stating facts.  But how long until The Game is the Illibuck?    

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments