Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Urban Meyer on His New Role, Teaching and Much, Much More - Buckeyextra (Dispatch)

+11 HS
BuckeyeInOrlando's picture
May 28, 2019 at 9:05am
44 Comments

A new interview with coach Meyer from Bill Rabinowitz of the Dispatch. It is apparently a continuation (or just additional notes) of an interview from Friday. I'm not sure if the first article was discussed here on 11W or not, but I'd recommend reading both! Some highlights:

On his emphasis for leadership training:

“It is something quite honestly, in my early career I didn’t really understand,” Meyer said. “The older I got and really at Ohio State it became very systematic the way we taught leadership to our team.”

The impact it had on recruiting:

That was our difference-maker. When we started going into Georgia and beating SEC teams and going into Texas and beating Big 12 teams head-to-head, it wasn’t because of weather. It was because, if a player was very serious about his life after the game, we got that kid.

On the 4th and 1 conversion against TTUN in double OT that will be the cause of M-Man tears for generations:

“He absolutely made it,” Meyer said.

The biggest surprise in his new role:

“Just my appreciation for all the other coaches. I didn’t really get a chance to know them because you get into a cocoon over in the Woody (Hayes Athletic Center). And your appreciation for the sport ADs. You’re talking about incredible coaches and staffs.

On the new recruiting calendar due to the early signing period:

The whole new rules ... last year was awful. You were having official visits every weekend. We went to Hyde Park steakhouse like four weekends in a row (hosting recruits). We love Hyde Park, but after a while Shelley and I looked at each other like, ‘What are we doing?’ We were missing our son’s baseball games.

There's more about the transfer portal, the 62 points against TTUN, wins and losses, and his love for Ohio State.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 44 Comments