College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Tate Martell Seeking Immediate Eligibility

+3 HS
OsuSuperman's picture
January 16, 2019 at 11:24am
168 Comments

"Due to him being an undergraduate seemingly without a waiver-worthy reason, Martell will be forced to sit out the 2019 season per NCAA rules. He will be cleared to play starting in 2020 as a redshirt junior with two years of eligibility remaining, three if he petitions the NCAA for a fifth year.

However, Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports reports that Martell, in a move resembling Fields' transition to Ohio State, is "lawyering up" in an effort to receive immediate eligibility. Specifically, Martell is planning to use the Buckeyes' recent coaching change from Urban Meyer to Ryan Day as the backbone for his waiver. Martell could also expedite his graduation date by this summer, making him immediately eligible for 2019. "

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ohio-state-qb-tate-marte...

Very interesting, I am wondering if he actually has a case. Coaching changes happen all the time so I am not sure how much of a hardship this really is.

His best bet would probably be to try and graduate. However I am not sure if he is still enrolled at Ohio State or if he is already down in Miami. If he is in Miami and graduates down there does he become eligible?

[Mod edit - moved to College Sports]

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 168 Comments