Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Tate Martell's Case for Immediate Eligibility

+9 HS
gumtape's picture
January 11, 2019 at 11:59am
133 Comments

1. The transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete;

If and when Tate Martell transfers to WVU, Miami, Georgia, or wherever, he will probably apply for immediate eligibility. Let me state that I have sympathy for him. He was recruited to play for a coach in a system that was tailored perfectly to his talents. The offense that we had run from the last 10 years utilized a large amount of designed QB runs and zone-read. The QB coach at the time was Tim Beck (remember T Magic at Nebraska), the head coach was Urban Meyer.

Here is where things can get ugly for Ohio State. Obviously his rationale for wanting to transfer is immediate playing time. His primary recruiter was.... Zach Smith. Being on the team and in the QB room, he may be aware of Coach Smith's flaws as a coach and/or human being. That may be the mitigating circumstance and is obviously not something as an Ohio State fan I want to see happen. He would simply have to pull up one of a number of national college football writer's columns on the prevailing "culture" as evidence of a system he no longer wants to be a part of.

from Birm:

The biggest question with any transfer in today’s NCAA climate is whether or not a waiver for immediate eligibility would be granted. Sources close to Martell have indicated that the 5-foot-11, 215-pound quarterback would attempt to win an NCAA hardship waiver, though the path for doing so isn’t cut-and-dried.

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state-football/ohio-state-tate-martell-buckeyes-transfer-west-virginia-miami-usc-ucla/

I have also read on the twitters that he may be graduating this May making this discussion pointless, but I have not seen this confirmed by a "real" reporter.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 133 Comments