Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Defensive Staff Composition IF Schiano Leaves Too

+2 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
January 4, 2019 at 3:56pm
21 Comments

Today, Ohio State was hit with the shocking(ish) news that Lincoln Riley had lured away Ohio State's safeties coach and presumptive co-DC/DC of the future. That leaves incumbent defensive coordinator Greg Schiano as the clear choice to be sole DC for the 2019 season. 

That said, we have no guarantee that Schiano stays. He seems very comfortable with Ohio State and living in Columbus, but I don't think he wants to be a coordinator forever, and if the right offer came along, he'd take it. We also have to consider the impact of Meyer handing the reins to Day. Schiano and Meyer are good friends, and when he joined Ohio State's coaching staff a few years ago it was two friends doing a favor for each other: Meyer needed a DC and Schiano needed a new job. Ohio State was always supposed to be a stepping stone for Schiano back to the top, with or without Meyer, and now that Meyer's gone that's one less reason for Schiano to stick around. So, for the sake of argument, let's say Schiano gets an offer to coach a P5 program and he accepts. We now have no DC. Bill Davis is probably gone too, as I don't see why Day would want to retain him seeing as he's not an elite recruiter or a good coach. Al Washington or Marcus Freeman seem like the favorites to replace him. I would be shocked (and appalled) if Larry Johnson was not retained as DL coach. 

That leaves us openings for a DC, a linebacker coach, and a safeties coach. 

In this situation, who should Ohio State hire as DC? Or would you be all right elevating Larry Johnson to DC?

Who would you get to coach linebackers? Safeties? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments