Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Paths to the Playoff

+1 HS
NeemOSU's picture
November 25, 2018 at 12:02am
13 Comments

Well, well, well. After this whirlwind of a regular season, we find ourselves in a similar situation. 11-1 BIG East Champions, playing for a conference championship, essentially a play-in for the final playoff spot. Sounds just like 2014. Don't believe me? In 2014 we had to be compared to the best team the Big 12 had to offer in TCU. This year we are going against Oklahoma.

National media are impressed with the TTUN win and predict we jump to 6. Oklahoma at 5, Georgia at 4 with one game left to play. Now obviously that doesn't mean we have a shot just yet. We need a tiny bit of help. Alabama must beat Georgia. 

To add on, Northwestern was ranked 19 this week. With losses ahead of them they could potentially be ranked top 15, giving us another quality win to pick up. With that said, here are the potential paths for the Buckeyes. Note, these are only possibilities if Alabama beats Georgia

OSU wins, Oklahoma loses: Simple scenario. Oklahoma has 2 losses, no conf. championship. OSU claims No. 4 Spot

OSU wins BIG, Oklahoma wins close: This is a case of the eye test from the championship game. Also factoring in SOS, Quality Wins, Quality Losses, Season Eye Test. I think we win that argument of the strength of our best win, TTUN. Their best win is West Virginia.

OSU Wins, Clemson loses: This is a shot in the dark, but possible. Clemson Losing would eliminate the ACC from contention, opening up TWO spots. Doesn't matter , both teams get in.

Mayhem: OSU wins, Clemson loses, Oklahoma Loses: I'm only throwing this scenario in here just to show how crazy it would look. ND would take the No.2 Seed. We would be No.3. No.4 seed could possibly be UCF, which is the ultimate bracket everyone wants. OSU vs ND in 2015 Rematch. Alabama vs UCF to prove if UCF belongs with the big dogs. Defending National Champions vs Defending National Champions (lol)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments