Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

UCF Will End Up in the 4th Playoff Spot

+4 HS
B44's picture
November 18, 2018 at 4:23pm
61 Comments

Hear me out before stringing me up (I just put my alumni season ticket order in for playoff tickets w OSU so I do think we could go)

Assumptions: top 3 remain unchanged, good guys beat ttun and OU wins their conf champ. No one cares about pac12

The committe will be forced to decide between: two conf champions with one loss, a 2nd SEC team, or UCF. 

Neither OSU or OU look like playoff contenders. Let’s face it, neither of our defenses look like they belong in the MAC let alone a P5. If they take a second SEC team both the big10 and big12 will collectively say wtf as the favoritism would dominate the news cycle and turn off a large portion of US from watching the playoffs. That’s not the news cycle the ncaa or espn wants. 

Side stepping this controversy; the committee selects UCF in the 4th spot. It collectively shuts up everyone complaining about them last year and then running the table this year. When they get smoked by bama it gives the committee cover for the near future to shut out teams who don’t have the SoS and don’t play power 5. Neither OU or OSU has a case to make about being left out since they each have a loss while UCF does not. If there was a year to put them in, it’s this year. 

Reasons why this won’t happen: it rewards playing a weak schedule and will put p5 schedules on par with everyone else. Teams will see that the only thing that matters is a W so expect less OOC matchups (bad for tv ratings). It also shows that you don’t need quality wins to get in which the committee has already said matter so they have egg on their face. It would also push the 8 team playoff which fans want but would result in less revenue overall compared to the current bowl system. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 61 Comments