Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

10 Things to Take from Week 7

+6 HS
buckeye_in_WI's picture
October 14, 2018 at 8:13am
46 Comments

1. This is a championship caliber team, but that was no where near a championship level effort. Closest 2/3 score win in a long time. However, I am hoping this is a wake-up call to this squad; to win a championship you can't relax against anyone.

2. The Game is starting to get that feel like it use to 10+ years ago. While Wisky isn't the same team they were last year, that was an impressive win nonetheless. I still think ttun is a very winnable game, one we should be favored in and one we should win at home. But I haven't been this excited/nervous about The Game in awhile.

3. Welcome to the show Mr. Haubeil. 3 of 3 including a 47 yarder that looked like it was good from 57. Glad to see the future is bright from the K spot

4. KJ Hill is this teams Mike Thomas, or as close to cantguardmike as we can get.

5. What happened to the Oline? Categorical failure on all fronts. No push in the run game. No protection for the QB. And, did Prince even make a block yesterday? I've never seen a DE live in the backfield as much as Minnys guy did vs Prince. Not sure what the answer here is, but I expect either improvements ASAP or changes will be made. We have talented young fellas on the depth chart, you can't tell me they could do worse than yesterday.

6. Haskins was great, but I am slightly worried about the passing game to be honest. Mostly because I am worried about the Oline giving him time, especially vs teams with great Dlines like scUM/Clemson/Bama/etc. But also partially because of the routes we are taking. Most of our passes are on curl routes or slants, which I think great Ds will adjust to. I'm hoping this is a case of taking what the defense was giving, but if we don't mix it up more vs good Ds, they will adjust and take those quick throws away.

7. Did we blitz at all yesterday? I feel like we rarely blitzed, and our LBs stuck to [wrong] lane assignments. On the flip side, theres no reason our front 4 shouldn't be getting pressure by themselves vs Minnesota...except that they didn't.

8. Minnesota almost beat us with the ground game and with 1 passing route. Yuck.

9. I'm not [yet] worried about the run game. Weber is hurt, and we just haven't figured out how to best use Dobbins in this pass-centric O. We're trying to use him like Zeke, or how we used him last year with a mobile QB, and that's not working. I'd love to see him fake a handoff then have him run a wheel route or get him the ball out in space, more like how we used Samuel.

10. Lots of down games yesterday for a lot of good teams (Texas, UF, ND, PSU, UGA, etc). 7-0 and thats all that really matters. GO BUCKS!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments