Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Dwayne Haskins' Penn State Game "Struggles"

+14 HS
BuckeyeInOrlando's picture
October 4, 2018 at 12:29pm
101 Comments

First, my apologies in advance to JarheadBuck for looking back. I know it's been... like 5 days now. Sincerely though, thank you for your service. Go Bucks, Beat Indiana!

I wanted to look at all of Haskins' incompletions from the Penn State game, because some people seem to think he struggled, while others seem to think he stood strong and the receivers/tight ends may be to "blame." Haskins finished the game 22/39 passing. Using the play-by play from ESPN, I only see 16 incompletions. There was one incompletion that had pass interference called. I thought this would not count against Haskins... maybe I'm wrong. Haskins also took 1 sack, does this count against passing? I would think not. Maybe someone has some insight on this. 9 of his (16) 17 incompletions came in the first half, with 7 (plus the pass interference call?) coming in the second half. By quarter the D-Train threw 3, 6, 5, and 2 respectively based on the play by play. Here they are:

FIRST QUARTER - 3 INCOMPLETIONS

Drop by Parris Campbell (1 drop)

Drop by K.J. Hill (2 drops)

Miscommunication? with Austin Mack, this counts as "bad" in my book (2 drops, 1 bad) 

SECOND QUARTER - 6 INCOMPLETIONS

Drop (or tipped) by Rashod Berry - interception (3 drops, 1 bad)

High and wide to McLaurin (3 drops, 2 bad)

Behind Austin Mack (3 drops, 3 bad)

Ummmm... to Mike Weber (3 drops, 4 bad)

High to Austin Mack (3 drops, 5 bad)

Low to McLaurin - good throw that should have been caught for a first down in my opinion (4 drops, 5 bad)

THIRD QUARTER - 5 INCOMPLETIONS

Overthrown deep ball to Austin Mack (4 drops, 6 bad)

Thrown away (4 drops, 6 bad, 1 throwaway)

Overthrown corner endzone shot to K.J. Hill... maybe intentional due to tight coverage. I'm grading it as 1/2 bad, 1/2 throwaway (4 drops, 6.5 bad, 1.5 throwaway)

Overthrew McLaurin (4 drops, 7.5 bad, 1.5 throwaway)

Overthrown deep ball to Austin Mack (4 drops, 8.5 bad, 1.5 throwaway)

FOURTH QUARTER - 2 INCOMPLETIONS (Both on game winning drive)

Overthrow Luke Farrell or Underthrow Austin Mack (4 drops, 9.5 bad, 1.5 throwaway)

Parris Campbell needs to catch this ball... although everybody knows what happened two short plays later (5 drops, 9.5 bad, 1.5 throwaway)

The first 4 incompletions were either dropped (3) or miscommunication (1). This may have rattled Haskins as much as or more than the Penn State defense initially did.

If we count drops and throwaways as "good" passes, Dwayne threw 6.5 (40.6%) good incompletions and 9.5 (59.4%) bad incompletions, some of which was due to defensive pressure for sure.

In my opinion, if the Buckeyes clean up the drops (and the penalties), this team is unstoppable on offense... against ANYBODY.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 101 Comments