Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

10 Things to Take from Week 5

+9 HS
buckeye_in_WI's picture
September 30, 2018 at 3:49pm
24 Comments

I missed week 4 due to travel but here are my 10 takeaways from yesterday's match up with the lions.

1. Our offense isn't as good as we thought. Before you DV me for this, I and many others here thought we had the 2017 Falcons offense; QB of the century; 6 WRs who could go pro; top 5 O line in the country, et cetera. Our O is still really really good, and they proved how salty they can be in that 4th quarter, but they are mortal. O line needs to improve, WR need to stop dropping balls, and Haskins gets a bit spooked too early. I have faith they will improve.

2. Our D line is something special. We are without our best player on the D, and probably on the team, and you [almost] couldn't tell. Not too many sacks but I attribute most of that to not trying to over pursue a mobile QB. And with Nick in there last night, that would have been scary to watch.

3. McSorley is a stud. I've never given him much credit thus far, mostly because all last year i felt like he benefited from great receivers and a generational RB. But he proved me wrong; the kid can ball as good as the rest of them. Baker Mayfield-esk.

4. Why did we abandon the run so often? I get that Dobbins and Weber weren't tearing off 5+ yards as often as we've seen them, but they had several good runs all night long. And the passing game was not working that well [until the 4th quarter] so I didn't get it. The more we run the more it forces the D to prep for a run, which takes some pressure off Haskins.

5. The screens were clutch. I don't remember us using them that often within the past year or so, but they were exactly what we needed at that time. Huge kudos to the OCs there.

6. We held the best scoring offense in the country to 3 TDs and <30 points in their own house on a game they undoubtedly circled and prepped for since last year. I'm surprised thats not getting as much attention, given how much attention the PSU offense was given prior to the game.

7. Do we really have to play that team every year? Idk how many more double digit 4th quarter comebacks my heart can take.

8. Lets not make Indiana this years Iowa

9. Browning needs more time as starter. I get he is not great but he has the skill set we need. He just needs experience and the opportunity to make mistakes so he learns from them. If our LB squad is in the same spot come playoff time [if we can make it this year] then Bama/UGA/Clemson/OU/etc will light us up. I'd rather see poor play that helps develop a player who has a high ceiling than settle for an only marginally better player who does not have that high of a ceiling.

10. This is a special team, and they're already one of my favorite squads over the past decade. We all need to make sure we enjoy this ride while it lasts. Every week has been a joy watching these young men play their hearts out for the S&G. How firm thy friendship...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments