Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Oregon State - It's Christmas Eve!

+11 HS
Large Father's picture
August 31, 2018 at 5:42pm
19 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

My 9 year old told me this is one of his favorite weekends of the year; I momentarily forgot that it's one of mine too.  

I'm finally able to be present in the football equivalent of Christmas Eve!  Here are some things I will be watching this first weekend of Ohio State football:

- My man, BB Landers, who was robbed of captain status this season and robbed of a scoop-and-score last season. Give BB his captain title...and his touchdown!

- The new kick off rule and how teams play now that a fair catch inside the 25 comes out to the 25 yard line. Pinning a punt deep in the corner has been a field position strategy for Ohio State that is now potentially negated. 

- How the reshuffled offensive line look...and is Michael Jordan another Remington award winner after two consecutive centers from Ohio State winning that award.

- Obviously, how Dwayne Haskins looks and if the offense evolves for his skill set after such a long run with JT Barrett running the ball. I remember the first game against Virginia Tech of the 2015 season, thinking that Ohio State did not adapt the play book at all for Cardale and it was a big mistake to force-fit the playbook meant for JT.

- How Ohio State splits the carries with an offensive backfield that is extremely talented...possibly the most talented since 1975 with Archie Griffin and Pete Johnson. This year even the freshman look the part potentially. Master Teague looked like Beanie Wells wearing James Laurinitis' jersey number during the Spring Game and he is third or fourth string on the depth chart.

- How many freshmen get to play and how they rotate things now that the redshirt rules have changed to allow players to compete in four games without implications for a redshirt year. I would assume you play them early in the year but I don’t know what Ohio State might choose to do for games as the season progresses and who they want to see on the field.

- If the linebackers have improved to the point of not being an extreme weakness for the team. Last season they looked completely lost, hopefully they grew from that experience and can find the right position to be on the field to make the play. There are a lot of linebackers with very high recruiting ratings so you have to assume the talent is there to play at a very high level. It was interesting that Tuf Borland was voted captain as a sophomore which is a rare feat at Ohio State. I liked his toughness last season even if his skill set was not that of a prototypical NFL-ready linebacker. Hopefully they play tough and model after their captain...and play smart this season. The rest of the defense should be stacked especially at defense of line with all of the incoming freshmen talent layered in.

I can't wait to go down to the stadium with my youngest son and continue our traditions together...it's one of our favorite things to do and always will be.

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, Dixon, Weber, Weber, Campbell, Austin Mack, Master Teague

OSU 52 Oregon State 10

Go Bucks!  Beat Oregon State!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Large Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments