College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College Football Fandom is Disappointing

+19 HS
OSU_JD's picture
August 8, 2018 at 11:05am
73 Comments

Maybe I am just a little bit naïve, but the reaction around the Smith Saga is disappointing to me, with respect to other fandoms.

It is one thing to smacktalk about football games, get heated over whether Barrett made that 4th and 1, or remind US about Iowa last year or Clemson in the CFB.  It's even fine to go back and forth about silly things like whether Harbaugh is scared of chickens. 

It is another thing entirely to assume our entire program ran interference for an abuser and condones spousal abuse.  I have been told I am too nice for this world, but I cannot be the only one who thinks college football smacktalk and these subjects really shouldn't mix, right?

Every time I run into someone who has assumed the absolute worse in the Smith Saga, it's been a fan of TTUN or Alabama.  Every time.  It's even more disappointing they assume we're defending Urban Meyer JUST BECAUSE we want to win football games. the discussion is way more nuanced than that. 

Normally college football rivalries are a blast, but the removal of judgment just because of a football rivalry?  That's toxic to me.  That removes the fun from it.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 73 Comments