College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

TTUN Preseason Hype, Again...why?

+7 HS
James Varney's picture
July 30, 2018 at 1:24pm
105 Comments

Bleacher Report has come out with yet another story about how this could be the year for TTUN because...Shea Patterson (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788225-qb-shea-patterson-ready-to-b...). I've attached the comment I made to the story below. But my question is, again, what gives? What explains this? To some extent, it's the fact a lot of sports reporters went to TSUN, and I'm sure the fact TSUN is seen as superior academically to Ohio State plays a role. But it makes no sense to come out each summer and proclaim a program that's been mediocre for years is suddenly a playoff contender. Right?

James Varney

I've no doubt Patterson will improve TTUN. I do doubt the idea he was completely ignorant of what a sleazeball Freeze was. But I am always puzzled by this perennial desire to make TTUN out to be national title contenders. Objectively, is there another program in the country that the last five years has finished unranked, unranked, No. 12, No. 16, and unranked that gets talked about this way? It makes no sense. You don't see this sort of stuff written every preseason about Nebraska or Texas or Southern Cal, schools with just as much football history as UM and more national championships since WWII than UM. What gives?

(Mod Edit: Moved to College Sports Forum)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 105 Comments