Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Parris Campbell's 'Catch Rate' (78.4%) is Excellent - Would Rank 15th in the NFL

+16 HS
Buckeye Jack's picture
June 25, 2018 at 8:52am
296 Comments

Parris Campbell caught 40 of 51 targets last season. That is a lofty 78.4% Catch Rate.  78.4% would put Campbell at 15th on the NFL Catch Rate chart. The Catch Rate chart is drawn from more than 700 NFL WRs, RBs, and TEs. 

Catch rate percentage is a simple calculation - catches divided by targets. I copied the play-by-play data from every game last season from the ESPN site. That data lists all incompletions, completions, and targets.

I also reviewed video of PC's 11 incompletions in accordance with the commonly accepted standard of defining "Drops":

Hank Gargiulo of ESPN Stats & Information passed along the written standard our game charters rely upon to reduce subjectivity.

This standard says drops are "incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort."

Basically, we're talking about blatant drops, not the ones where your old man leans over and says anything that grazed the receiver anywhere was a drop in his day.

Most of PC's INC's were not in reach, placed where he could get one hand on the ball, or thrown behind or into a fully covered situation. I could see two clear drops - the long ball perfectly thrown in the end zone (that has been played over and over again on all Buckeye venues), and another sideline pass that was a clear drop. There may be one or two others that could be argued, but that is the extent of it.

Any way you slice it, a 78.4% Catch Rate is excellent. And PC's 15 yards per catch average is about twice the average of the 15 receivers on the Catch Rate chart. Both in the NFL and in their college days.

Parris has gotten a bad rap from a number of Buckeye sites. He is a solid receiver. His catch rate speaks for itself. The guy is a baller and deserves nothing but respect for his elite skills.

Catch Rate:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/receiving-catch-rate

Standard definition of Drop:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/45689/what-constitutes-a-dr...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 296 Comments