Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Film Study: How the Kickoff Unit is *supposed* to Work

Kyle Jones's picture
November 3, 2017 at 4:39pm
20 Comments

Over the past few weeks, many have asked me through various channels, "WTF is wrong with Ohio State's Kickoff unit??!?" Well, I wish I had a simple answer, but given the personnel changed Meyer mentioned yesterday, it's clear that the intended strategy isn't being executed properly. 

The Buckeyes have been running the same scheme for years now, pinning opponents between the left hash and the sideline, with the ball landing on the just in front of the goal-line. Penn State knew this and set up a return similar to an outside sweep, getting extra blockers on the right and springing Barkley for the long run. 

However, if executed properly, this concept should never allow the runner to get outside, though, nor should a single line of blockers break the coverage unit and spring the returner for a long gain.

Why do I know this? Well, that's because I spent entirely too much time in the summer of 2015 studying Ohio State's kickoff strategy, and given the focus on it this week, I figured now is as good a time as any to re-share it with you all:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/03/51639/film-st...

Enjoy.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments