October 26, 2017 at 9:31pm
25 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

The Chase...
The Grind...
The Edge...
Land of the Wolves...
...how about Just Win?

Ohio State has to just win.  From this point on, it doesn't have to be pretty...they just need to get the W.   

In Big Ten country, once the weather turns, the best teams are punishing.  I'm liking the attitude of this year's team as the season progresses.  Even during the cupcake portion of the schedule, the Buckeyes have been playing nasty like in 2002...and, from what I'm told, like in 1968.  We also saw this mean streak down the stretch in 2014.  If OSU can keep it up, teams won't want to take the field in the fourth quarter.

OSU's defensive line has been dominant. They are shutdown.  Penn State's offensive line is a relative weakness for them.  But, PSU hides that weakness with McSorley releasing the football very quickly.  The quick strike neutralizes Ohio State's advantage in the trenches.  The emergence of Jordan Fuller in the defensive backfield is taking OSU from good to great.  Schiano has been playing Fuller at nickle close to the line of scrimmage recently.  I'd like to see Fuller play every snap against Penn State and try to take away their quick strike while also having the size to play the run.  I'd like to see Fuller on Gesicki...take a few shots on the Penn State TE and WRs to make them uncomfortable. This could also be a big game for BB Landers.  BB is off the ball so fast and three yards in the backfield on every snap.  He could disrupt PSU's rhythm. The key to the game is disrupting McSorley...he looks too much like Baker Mayfield for my liking.  The OSU secondary and linebackers still have weaknesses, so somehow the defensive coaches need to find a way to dial up disruption. 

This Buckeye team is extremely deep.  Roster depth separates the really good teams as the season progresses; all teams will have injuries, the great teams continue to fill those loses with great players.  An example might be Meech, Demetrius Knox.  Brandon Bowen went down, but Meech looked very capable in the last game.  OSU will need him to play smart and tough this weekend.

This weekend, I hope JT looks like JT.  You can immediately tell if he will be comfortable in a game, or if he's going to have a tough time...tucking the ball and running a lot.  The team is really hitting its stride learning the new offensive system from Coaches Wilson and Day.  I would not want to be an opposing defensive coordinator right now because OSU's offense is really diverse now.  JT is a cerebral QB and knows what to do in this diverse/complex offense.  This is JT's third offensive system...and I think he's starting to get comfortable with it.

Against Penn State, the score may be lower, which (mercifully) means less kickoffs (which have been a disaster) and more punts (which have been fine in limited appearances).  During the Nebraska game, Chrisman didn't punt once...he made the trip to Lincoln for no reason.  

No let up this weekend if Ohio State takes a lead to the locker room.  Penn State is a second half team, so no lead is comfortable.  Keep the pressure on for all four quarters.

I'm really enjoying this season; good things are happening with this year's Buckeye team.  OSU had a stretch of cupcake opponents, but these guys look the part.  
Something really good is going on with this team.  I want to see them keep coming together, go out and play tough...and just win.  

Touchdowns:  Dobbins

OSU 13 Penn State 10

Go Bucks!  Beat Penn State!  Dante Booker for Heisman!

Swollen Sire

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments