Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU Vs. UNLV -- 38-7 and 52-49

+10 HS
Large Father's picture
September 22, 2017 at 8:14am
23 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

My 8-year-old, Buckeye-fanatic son, Jake, was definitely rooting against Ohio State in the waning minutes of the Army game last weekend.

He's been predicting the final score of Ohio State games since he was 6 years old.  I'm not sure where he gets that from... :)  For the big games, Jake makes big banners with the score prediction with every color sharpie imaginable.  For the easier games, a piece of notebook paper and pencil work fine.  He even records videos with his prognostications acting like the next YouTube star complete with asking for the viewer to subscribe to his channel to watch more in the future.  

After 28 games, Jake had come close to predicting the correct final score, but hadn't nailed it just yet.  And then, last week happened -- OSU 38 Army 7.  Ohio State was approaching the goal line late in the game, giving playing time to Dwayne Haskins in mop up duty...but ran out of time before reaching the endzone.  Jake was ecstatic.  Even mid-September games against Army after a deflating early-season loss and diagnosis of what is wrong with this year's team are a joy when your perspective changes.  There are only 12 college football Saturdays a year...Jake definitely understands that.  

Score predictions are a funny thing.  I started my weekly prediction for the 2002 OSU vs. Texas Tech season opener as a displaced Buckeye fan in Cincinnati wanting to have some connection to those back home in Columbus.  Ohio State kept winning that season...and I kept going.      

I've predicted the score for 199 Ohio State games now...this will be my 200th weekly prediction.  

...and over those 199 games, I've predicted the correct score exactly once.  

...and that prediction was meant to be a joke made out of spite.

Ohio State 52 Indiana 49 on October 14th, 2012

The OSU defense was really porous during Urban's first season as head coach playing close-ish games against bad teams like UCF, UAB and Cal early in the season.  Indiana was always a doormat for OSU prior to 2012, so I really didn't think it would be a game.  Indiana scored 15 points late in the fourth quarter and almost beat the Buckeyes.  That game prompted Urban to move Zach Boren from FB to LB to shore up a terrible defense.  I kept predicting 52-49 every week...and from that point on, Ohio State won out finishing the season undefeated.

This season's script has started very similarly with a tough game against Indiana, really poor defensive LB play and lots of grumbling among fans...and a correct score prediction.

There are only so many college football Saturdays each year...I'm not going to miss the chance to enjoy each one fully.  And, I'm going to use Jake's score prediction for a big Buckeye victory this weekend!

Touchdowns:  Mike Weber, JT, JK Dobbins, JK Dobbins, Parris Campbell, Johnnie Dixon, B.B. Landers 

OSU 52 UNLV 3

Go Bucks!  Beat UNLV!  Dante Booker for Heisman! 

Portly Pa

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments