Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

"Balanced" Offense For Ohio State

+11 HS
NashBuckeye's picture
September 18, 2017 at 12:43am
26 Comments

One of the recurring themes of Urban Meyer's Press Conferences is his insistence of a balanced Offense. This is, in principle, a great concept, but I think it's a mistake for the 2017 Ohio State Offense. I also think this is where Urban's influence has made the OSU Offense look the same with 3 different Offensive Coordinators.

I love JT Barrett but he clearly has limitations throwing the ball. However, even when we are destroying teams on the ground, the OSU Coaching Staff is unwilling to stay with the running game and will kill a drive by throwing downfield on 2 or 3 consecutive plays (see 3rd drive vs. Army).  The 2015 game vs. TUN was a masterpiece as we completely embarrassed their Defense. Guess how "balanced" we were in that game? 369 yards rushing and 113 passing. We pounded Zeke, went with a fast tempo, and every time JT pulled the ball, he ran free on TUN's Defense.

I think our best chance of having an effective Offense this year is to be 65/35 run heavy or more, but I am not sure our Coaching Staff can (or are allowed to) call a game like this. It's obvious JT will remain the starting QB, so please call plays to match his strengths.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments