When: Saturday, Nov 4, 2017
Where: Iowa City, IA, Kinnick Stadium
Ohio State is 47–14–3 all-time against against Iowa and is 17–6–2 as the away team. This is the first time since 2010 that Ohio State has played in Iowa City.
The Hawkeyes' 2017 offense will have a new look in the passing game. Starting quarterback C.J. Beathard and three of the team's leading receivers will not be back this year. In all, the three receivers accounted for 1,145 yards of Iowa's 1,991 receiving yards. Beathard threw for just under 99 percent of the Hawkeyes' passing yards. Fortunately for Ferentz, he will have plenty of games to get the passing attack primed for the Buckeyes.
The Last Time...
- The Buckeyes and faced the Hawkeyes was 2013. The crowd in Ohio Stadium watched the home team pull away late in the 34-24 win
- Ohio State played in Iowa City, Jim Tressel's 2010 squad left Kinnick Stadium with a dramatic 20-17 victory.
- The Buckeyes lost to the Hawkeyes was in 2004. Iowa won 33-7 and was very close to getting the shutout. To that point, it was Tressel's most lopsided loss as Ohio State's head coach. USC 2008 (32 pionts) and Florida 2007 (27 points) were worse.
Game 9, The Last Time...
- Ohio State played as the away team was 2014. The 14th ranked Buckeyes defeated No. 8 Michigan State 49-37 in Spartan stadium.
- The Buckeyes lost the ninth game of the season was 2008. No. 3 Penn State escaped Ohio Stadium with a 13-7 victory.
Ohio State lost the ninth game as the away team was 1994. John Cooper's 21st ranked team suffered a humiliating 63-14
buttass-whooping to No. 1 Penn State.
Iowa's 2016 Season
Bowl Game: Outback Bowl, lost to Florida 30-3.
Coaching Status: Kirk Ferentz (135–92) 19 seasons.
Leading Offensive Players From 2016
Passer: Nate Stanley (62 yards)
Rusher: Akrum Wadley (1,081 yards)
Receiver: Akrum Wadley (315 yards)
Leading Defensive Players From 2016
Tackles: Josey Jewell (124)
Sacks: Anthony Nelson (6.0)
Interceptions: Brandon Snyder (3)
Top 2017 Recruits
- 5★ SDE A.J. Epenesa of Edwardsville, IL
- 4★ OT Tristan Wirfs of Mount Vernon, IA
- 3★ OT Mark Kallenberger of Bettendorf, IA
|CLASS||NATIONAL RANK||B1G RANK||TOP PLAYER|
|2014||59||12||3★ ATH JAY SCHEEL|
|2015||59||12||4★ OC JAMES DANIELS|
|2016||47||9||3★ SDE CEDRICK LATTIMORE|
|2017||41||8||5★ SDE A.J. EPENESA|
Notable Missing Players
QB C.J. Beathard completed 170 of 301 passes for 1,929 yards last year. He accounted for all of Iowa's passing touchdowns as the only Hawkeye to attempt a pass last year was Stanley who completed 5 of 9 passes.
Three of Beathard's top targets from 2016 are also gone. WR Riley McCarron led the Hawkeyes with 42 receptions, 517 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns. Jerminic Smith (314 yards and 23 rec.) and George Kittle (314 yards and 22 rec.) are also gone. With the majority of the passing game gone, Kirk Ferentz's offense will have a new look in 2017.
Jaleel Johnson and his team-leading 7.5 sacks and Desmond King (3 interceptions) will need replaced.
Five Things November 4th
- Ohio State is 15–2 on this date and is 6–0 as the away team.
- In the 17 games, the Buckeyes have only played two ranked opponents on this date (Iowa, 1961 and Indiana, 1944).
- Ohio State has won 13 consecutive games played on 11/4. The last loss came to Case in 1911.
- The last away game on this date was a 49-21 victory over Minnesota in 1995.
- The first game the Buckeyes played on this date was a home tilt against Western Reserve in 1893. Ohio State lost 30-16 at Recreation Park.
|94.4||3rd||PASS EFFICIENCY DEFENSE||115.5||19th|
|+ 1.2||3rd||TURNOVER MARGIN||+ 0.4||28th|
Ohio State is 62–30–4 when playing the ninth game of the season and is 28–16–3 when playing when playing the ninth game on the road.
Kirk Ferentz is 147–113 as a collegiate head coach.
Ohio State has played six games as the away team on 11/4 and is 6–0.
The Buckeyes are 2–0 when the ninth game of the season is played on November 4. Ohio State defeated Michigan State 27-13 in Columbus in 2000 and beat Minnesota 49-21 in the Metro Dome in 1995.