Bruce Feldman Article on Schiano and Ohio State

+13 HS
Dweinz's picture
April 5, 2017 at 2:02pm
41 Comments

Bruce's article on Schiano and OSU found here

some interesting tidbits from the article:

on a drill that Urban originally hated:

The Ohio State head coach admits now that drill at first drove him crazy and he wanted to stop it, but opted not to interrupt because he says Schiano knows what he’s doing. Meyer’s glad he let Schiano do his thing. Schiano’s “Match The Hand” drill directly led to a momentous Pick-6 in the Buckeyes’ win at Oklahoma. On that play, defensive end Jalyn Holmes did as Schiano instructed, getting his left hand up in the air as Baker Mayfield began his release. Holmes batted the ball into the air and OSU’s Jerome Baker plucked it our of the air and raced 68 yards for a touchdown.

on how Schiano helped to improve the defense:

Thanks in large part to Schiano — and his Match the Hand drill — Ohio State went from nine interceptions in 2015 (No. 56 in the country) to 21 last year, which ranked No. 4. The Buckeyes also improved from No. 6 in the country in fewest yards per play allowed to No. 3. The most impressive fact may be that all this happened with a defense that had only three returning starters.

Schiano on Urban:

“He is the hardest-working recruiting head coach I’ve ever seen,” he said. “I thought I was like off the charts. I was not even close. He’s a machine. Just so passionate about it. That’s what drives the recruiting at Ohio State. He sets the standard here. Coach’s best attribute is that he dives right in. He’s in the middle of relationships with every one and he’s current on everything. He set the bar to me of what a head coach needs to do as a recruiter.” 

on his future:

“My wife told me I remember the happiest you were was when you were the defensive coordinator coaching your kids at Miami,” he said. “I think what happens is when you’re the head coach, there’s so much that’s on your mind all the time. When you’re the head coach, you’re in charge of every support person of every person that touches the program, everybody that touches the coaches, the players.”

overall it's a nice read and gives some good insight on the OSU program. Bruce is also a fan of 11w, so if you're reading, hi Bruce!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 41 Comments