Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Clemson - "house money" is the last sentiment on their mind

+4 HS
Large Father's picture
December 29, 2016 at 9:28pm
13 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

As an Ohio State fan, the term "house money" keeps coming to mind...but, for the Buckeye football team, I would bet that "house money" is the last sentiment on their mind.

If you told me six months ago that OSU would be one of four teams in the College Football Playoff this season, I would have said that is a pretty big stretch.  The OSU players that could have competed for the CFP this year are now on NFL rosters after early departure.  Also, greater than half of the 2016 Buckeye team has freshman eligibility; the least experienced team in college football.  Those are tough hurdles.

...and I'm not sure I would have been all the distraught that OSU may not make it to the CFP this season.  They just won the inaugural championship two years ago...and the team is loaded with very young talent for a great run in the future.  

So, from a fan's perspective, the playoff match-up against Clemson on New Year's Eve is emotional "house money."  It's amazing the Buckeyes continue to be this good...and they made it this year. 

But, most of the players on this Ohio State team do not have a championship ring at home...and those that do were just along for the ride in 2014.  They were sitting on the bench watching; their championship legacy does not yet exist.  They are not playing with "house money" - this is their time around...winning this game is very meaningful to them. 

I'll state the obvious, if Ohio State can throw the ball, that greatly increases their chances of winning.  I would love to see the Ohio State offense from the Oklahoma game...gaining yardage easily on the ground and through the air.  But, OSU's passing game was sluggish most of October and November.  This deep in the season, sometimes you are what you are...and Clemson is a tough team to have the passing game come back alive.  There is a reason for some hope -  JT has trouble passing in cold, wet weather.  This game is played in Glendale, Arizona...and winter weather would be an act of God; or a handful of Clemson fans going down to the crossroads.  

Even if Ohio State continues to struggle with the pass game, the Ohio State offense should play with tempo.  Playing fast helps JT get into a rhythm...he seems to read the defense better.  If necessary, just run the ball, stay in front of the chains and sustain drives.  The Buckeyes are the best team in the country converting third down with three or less yards to go.

This game has the potential to come down to the last play.  As you would expect in the CFP, it's a heavyweight match-up of two programs on top in every aspect - recruiting, coaching, game preparation and NFL-ready talent.  Most of the Ohio State roster has not experienced lifting the CFP trophy.  Their championship legacy does not exist.  They have everything to play for...  

Touchdowns:  JT, JT, Curtis Samuel, Malik Hooker

OSU 28 Clemson 26

Go Bucks!  Beat Clemson!  Dante Booker for Heisman! 

Large Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments