Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

AJ Hawk: Buckeyes, let's hold the line

+20 HS
Barfolomew's picture
December 28, 2016 at 1:01pm
14 Comments

AJ Hawk had a nice writeup in the Players' Tribune (link)

It's a letter to the players, reminding them to enjoy the ride. He recalls some of his experiences in high school, growing up in Ohio, and his freshman season on the Buckeyes.

I thought it was particularly interesting how he associates looseness with a championship team. 

Our 2002 team took our preparation super, super seriously — we worked hard, we lifted after practice, we made sure to be accountable to one another. But when we were actually playing? Man, we were having fun. We had each other’s back, but we also made sure to have a good time — if you got blasted by a guy during a play, no one was going to let that go. As soon as you got popped, the first thing you thought was, Ahh, they’re gonna get me for that. I think that looseness defines any championship team. 

Being loose was certainly evident in the 2014 run, particularly with Tyvis and Cardale on the team. While there doesn't seem to be a class clown this time around, it's clear that Urban promotes a culture of brotherhood and I think that is fundamental to playing with the right attitude.

Anyways, I think the Players' Tribune is pretty cool and I try to catch something if it's written by a former Buckeye, so that was my main reason for sharing. Enjoy.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments