Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Nebraska - the Northwestern game was my favorite Ohio State game in a long time

+22 HS
Large Father's picture
November 3, 2016 at 9:24pm
18 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

The Northwestern game last weekend was my favorite Ohio State game in a long time.  Yes, really.

I went to the game with my 7-year-old son, Jake...and it was his first game in Ohio Stadium in the dark as the sun set in the second half.  

We didn't plan on going to the game when we thought it was a 5:30pm kickoff; but we scalped tickets when the kickoff was moved up to 3:30pm. 

Normally, we sit on the visitors side - many games in section 30A - but this time we were on the Buckeyes sideline.  Jake's face lit up when I told him we would be behind the Buckeye bench - a very new perspective.

At halftime, we went to find his favorite game day snack, Dippin' Dots.  But, the Dippin' Dots cart was not present for this late October game when the temperature should be closer to 50 as opposed to 80.  There was a moment when Jake was inconsolable, but again was elated to find Twizzlers instead -- one of his favorite candies.

We bought a program and he poured through it.  It's possible Jake's the only 1st grader to know the OSU long snapper is Liam McCullough.  He already knew half the roster, but enjoyed reviewing it thoroughly.

There was a moment in the fourth quarter when the O-H-I-O chant passed from each section of the stadium and fans used their flashlight-lit cell phone to pass along the waved cheer.  100,000 people in the dark all joined in the same display.  Sometimes as an adult, it's difficult to see these moments as spectacular, but Jake made me see it with new wonder.

After the game, we rode the bus to the West campus lot...and walked home through the cornfields near North Star that border the suburbs and campus in the pitch black night.  The stars were out and Ohio State had won.

I have to finish typing now because Jake is yelling for me upstairs from his room...ready to read books and talk about the Buckeye game last weekend...and how great the Buckeye game is going to be this weekend. 

Touchdowns:  JT, JT, Mike Weber, Curtis Samuel

OSU 28 Nebraska 20

Go Bucks!  Beat Nebraska!  Dante Booker for Heisman! 

Vast Vater

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments