Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Your Post-Oklahoma Concerns #hottakes

+14 HS
osu992's picture
September 18, 2016 at 3:48am
180 Comments

You have them, you want to say them, you're afraid of being called a Negative Nancy...but you still want to say them.

Here's a safe space for your observations of things that didn't go quite the way you wanted, improvements you'd like to see, or areas we struggled. Plenty of space to express you happy thoughts, like how Cam Johnston maybe the B1G Player of the Year. Let's get negative constructive.

Here are some observations I had:

• It isn't clear the staff yet trusts Mike Weber yet. Weber had 18 carries to Barrett's 17.  Obviously he has room to grow, but if he's the guy, he needs touches. Samuel also got more backfield touches than I was hoping for (protect that man!)...but maybe we needed a wiley guy with speed against Oklahoma's front.
  • Receiving. Yes yes, Noah Brown had a hell of a night. But at 152 passing yards, we were 100 yards short of UFM's stated goal. Going into this game, we heard (1) physical mismatches would open the passing game and (2) running on OU would be very difficult but we would have to try to get something going so that we could set up the passing game. More than yardage, the issue is getting the ball around to different playmakers. The 152 yards was only on 20 attempts. There were a few passes to other players, but it was pretty much the Brown and Samuel show (though, even Samuel only had two catches). Brown's targets were because of mismatches...playing the odds in the end zone (and we hit every time). His only other catch was JT getting rid of the ball. Other than the odds with Brown, I had the sense the staff would have been happy just throwing to Samuel and Wilson. I really don't want to become overly dependent on those two.
  • Penalties. 11 for 75 yards (vs 4-28)? Yikes. This included a few delays of game that were not necessary. Hope we can clean that up. The offensive line did not always look great during the game...their penalties were a low light.
  • This defense gave up TDs? That's possible? /s

Other unrelated notes:

• Thank a staff member who was posting recap #content as late as 2:59 AM (no, 3:05; no, 3:30). They stepped up tonight/this morning.
  • I like how much better I recognize what is going on the more I read Kyle's film studies.
  • Keep an eye out for BuckeyeCWRU and wish him well: he's welcoming a son into his family today.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 180 Comments