Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Ineffective Playcalling, Exhibit A

0 HS
buckeyemondo's picture
November 23, 2015 at 1:00am
23 Comments

If a somewhat knowledgable fan (me) sees Ohio State in 5-wide on 3rd & 3 and guesses QB draw immediately, no one should be surprised that the MSU safety was able to easily make the tackle on Barrett after Vannett was motioned in.

MSU didn't even have to respect Zeke inside (wasn't even on the field).

I know this is a one play snapshot, but in game #11, the tendency to run from that formation was never broken.

And when did Urban/Beck(?) finally decide to call an unorthodox play?  Late in the 4th quarter from their own 5 yard line on 1st down into the wind.  Granted, JT didn't put enough on the ball (after the same wind caused him to overthrow a wide open Braxton earlier going towards the closed end), but that incompletion forces a pretty predictable run play call on 2nd down, & then it was the 2012 offense all over again on 3rd & 9... jet sweep to Braxton?

Tresselball was the epitome of conservative play calling & defense ruling the day.  But that offense did not have the skill that the 2015 Buckeyes had.  Just assuming a team will "outexecute" the other guys is fallacy when that other team is a Mark Dantonio coached defensive unit.

Herman was great at finding the pressure point of a defense, often going to the same play multiple times in one drive.  That mindset was seemingly lost in the (QB & OC) shuffle this year, replaced with calling plays to make sure everyone got to touch the ball.  

My buddy laughed when I called QB draw.  Wanted Mike Thomas to the boundary instead.  Didn't we all, Paul, didn't we all...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments