Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Keys To Beating Alabama

0 HS
305Buck's picture
December 8, 2014 at 2:39pm
9 Comments

On offense:

Run to the outside. Running down hill will be useless against Alabama's front 7, we have to find ways to get Zeke, Marshall, Samuel, Wilson or whoever to the outside. Last year against MSU we had a lot of success running to the outside but kept trying to pound it down hill for some reason, Herman has to change that up this game and go to the outside more often. And no east to west running with Cardale Jones please.

Throw Deep: Alabama's secondary has been their weakness now for two years running, their DBs are small but physical, our WRs have to be able to get off the line and not allow their corners to disrupt their routes. If Cardale throws deep our WRs can and will win the jump balls over Bama's small CBs. If Alabama plays off coverage to stop Devin Smith and the deep balls, I would love to see more comeback routes and crossing routes like we saw against Wisconsin.

Protect the QB: This line has gotten 10 times better than they were against VT, but Heuerman and Zeke will be key in this game. When Alabama blitzs or stunts their line or LBs, Zeke and Heuerman have to be able to pick that up and they both have been excellent at doing just that all season. If Cardale has time to throw he will pick apart Alabama's secondary similar to the way Nick Marshall did.

On defense:

Its simple, win the battle in the trenches: Alabama's offensive line this year is their weakest in recent memory, their LT is a true freshman and has been struggling as of late. Frazier and Bosa (when he's lined up on that side) have to take advantage of that. Alabama's offensive line is not the type it was in 2009-2012, they will not blast you off the line, our defensive line has to show up to play and I believe they will.

Pressure Sims from the outside: I pray to god we don't see two linebackers blitzing up the middle against Alabama, Sims and Cooper will pick that apart all night leaving the middle of the field that wide open. We have to send Lee off the edge and get push from our DTs up the middle in order to get Sims out of the pocket. Sims is a much better pocket passer than he is on the run. Sims has to speed to burn our defense with his legs if we break contain and blitz up the middle, the blitz has to come from the outside. If it comes from the inside, the defensive ends can not break contain or as I said before, Sims will burn us all night long with his legs.

Contain Cooper: Shutting down Cooper will not happen, Alabama will find ways to get the ball in his hands with quick screens, slants, and sweeps. All we can do is limit his touches to minimal gains and not allow him to create after the catch (e.g. Sammy Watkins last year). Grant needs to shadow Cooper all game the way he did Lippett. Wherever Cooper is at, there needs to be safety help over the top and hopefully from Bell. This is no knock on Powell, but Bell is the better cover Safety imo and the better safety period. Shadow Cooper with Grant and keep Bell around to bring help over the top and Cooper will be contained. Please don't leave Cooper one on one with Bell or Powell.

Also the usual: Play sound, don't miss tackles, and no break downs in the secondary. Ohio State has been good at this all year but had a bad November, our secondary hasn't given up many big plays all year, and I believe we have been the team with the least missed tackles all season. I don't know if that's still true, but the first guy to meet the ball carrier has to make the tackle, we can not allow Alabama to gain extra yards after contact or on 2nd effort.

Capitalize on mistakes: Read earlier that Sims has had 10+ interceptions dropped by the defense, we can not let that happen. When the opportunity present itself we have to make a play. Sims threw 3 interceptions in the first half against Auburn and they couldn't capitalize. Sims fumbled a lot against Missouri and they didn't recover any of them, we have to take advantage of those opportunities.

Special teams: Alabama and Ohio State both have bad kickers but amazing punters, Ohio State leads the NCAA in field position and we need to keep that up this game, force Alabama to drive the length of the field to score. Please no kickoffs out of bounds, we can not gift Alabama good starting position. I would prefer touchbacks also since Alabama has a deadly kick returner. Can't give them the opportunity to break one free, I know it hasn't happened yet against our kickoff coverage unit but we haven't faced the type of talent Alabama has all season.

All in all I predict Ohio State to win this game 35-24. Go bucks!!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments