Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Colin Cowherd teases secret Michigan HC candidate

0 HS
WesBranscum's picture
December 4, 2014 at 1:27pm
323 Comments

16 minutes ago
The Michigan Wolverines fired head coach Brady Hoke on Tuesday and speculation is abound as to who might replace him. Thursday morning, ESPN radio host Colin Cowherd teased a secret candidate for the job during his radio show, saying that it isn't someone whose name is currently being discussed. He also said it could be made public as early as this weekend.

"Everyone in this business that has been doing this business for as long as I have -- and I've been doing it for over 20 years -- you have sources," Cowherd said. "Sources have helped me through the years and I'm not really a guy that cares about breaking stories, but I lean on my sources for stories and contacts and I need those people. Now, I'm not a reporter -- I'm not Adam Schefter, I'm not Chris Mortensen, I'm not Jay Glazer -- where my life is all sources. My life is entertaining people, but I do need sources. A lot of my information and my strongest rants come out of information from sources. Sometimes a source will give me information and say, 'hold it,' and I'm gonna respect that because you never burn a source."

"So I know three of the college football agents," he continued. "There's about five guys, biggies, I call them occasionally to try to root some information out and I know enough reporters around the country. Here's the story. There's a very interesting -- and this is not in a message board, you'll find it nowhere -- there's a name right now being circulated in the agent world for Michigan's head coaching job. You will like it if you're at Michigan. You have no idea it's coming. I think it's a really good call, I can't believe I didn't think of it and it will make sense."

Does this person have ties to Michigan?

"I'm not going there," Cowherd said. "I'm not breaking a story, I'm just telling you this is how I get information. If you're a Michigan fan, you'll be like, 'Ooh, I like this.' I like it. The person I got it from said, 'This is pretty good, right?' I was like yeah, I didn't think of that. But I cannot take you there now. . . . You think I'm tantalizing the audience. What I'm saying is that it will come out this weekend. You'll like it. I think it's a great fit."

Cowherd also went on to say that the person is currently coaching a football team, so his producer pointed out that Greg Schiano must not be the person he's referring to.

"No, no, no. Greg Schiano is a candidate and that's been publicized. Greg Schiano's name is out there, it's all over message boards, that's not the name. I think Greg would be a great fit. That's not him. Greg Schiano is on message boards, that's been publicized. This one is not."

And so the speculation begins.

With Colin's Pac-12 ties and the list of coaches i think would be considered

David Shaw, Stanford
Todd Graham, Arizona State
Mike Leach, Washington State
Jim Mora, UCLA
Kyle Whittingham, Utah
Mark Helfrich, Oregon

I'd guess Shaw or Mora

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 323 Comments