Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A good problem, or a problem problem?

0 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture
September 29, 2014 at 10:11am
19 Comments

So ever since watching the cinci game on Saturday, I have been thinking (the cause behind most bad ideas), what will happen if Barrett keeps improving over the course of the year? What if all the kid does is get better? He already has the ability to sling the rock all over the field, and I have to assume that ability will only be improved upon and honed as the season progresses. So my question is, when next year rolls around, what will OSU do about the QB position? On one hand you have a two-time conference MVP/possible Hiesmen candidate coming back from injury. On the other you have a young gun who, IMHO, has already shown to be a better "passing" QB than his predecessor. This post isn't about anointing Barrett the savior of the team (I know the dude hasn't beaten anyone yet), but more me wondering what the fans would rather see: A QB who can turn any play into a highlight reel touchdown using his legs, but is coming off shoulder surgery when he had already left a lot to be desired in terms of throwing the rock. Or, assuming Barrett's continued development, would you rather see a more traditional approach at QB with a guy who will likely be far superior with his arm, but isn't going to be breaking many ankles anytime soon?

I know it has been asssumed that Brax would simply come back and reclaim his throne, and the last thing any team needs is a QB controversy, but given Barrett's trajectory as a passer I could see this becoming a legit question next year. So is this a good problem to have? Or could it actually be a distraction that could divide a locker room and derail a season with incredible expectations?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments