Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Its Like Déjà-vu All over Again?

+5 HS
buckzilla1's picture
January 18, 2023 at 1:58pm
20 Comments

Yogi Berra has been quoted as saying Its like Déjà-vu all over again when he was confronted with seeing a circumstance that was almost like a life experience he had already lived through. 

The quote “Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it” is attributed to the American philosopher George Santayana and it can be accurately quoted as “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” as stated in his work, The Life of Reason: 

Over the past couple of years, we fans who are old enough to remember are getting that feeling that Yogi was quoted as saying all those years ago. Earlier, I let the cat out of the bag when I said that Chris Holtmann was the same guy as Eldon Miller the only difference is 40 years as a comment on an article.  

Lets compare the coaches:

Eldon Miller was head coach from1976–1986 Ohio States Overall record was 176–118 (59.86) and their B1G overall 98–82  (544) Eldon's 594 winning percentage over his career (568–419). Millers teams had 2 sweet 16's 1 round of 32 and 48 respectfully. OSU made the NCAA tourney 4 times in 10 years OSU did win the NIT in 86 but Miller left with zero B1G titles 

Chris Holtmann is the head coach 2017- today. Ohio States overall record as of today is 117–63 (.650), with his B1G record standing at 60–44 (.577) Holtmann's overall record percentage is close to Miller's with the Total: 231–148 (.609) Holtmann has gotten to the NCAA tourney 4 out of the 5 years he has been here. Covid cancelled 19-20 year. He has never made it past the round of 32 but he was B1G coach of the year 17-18

Both coaches put players into the NBA. Both coaches by all accounts are good guys. 

The fact that OSU has/had the potential to do well and for what ever reason never lives up to the fans expectations or to be quite honest their own expectations has brought us to a point that looks oh so familiar. People will defend and back in the day when Miller was the coach the same defenses was strewn about until everyone got tired of the average results and concluded it was time for a change.

I hope that Holtmann can turn things around. It's mid January and there is still time. I will also add that if we continue down this path that we don't forget the past. A past of hanging on to a coach because he is good enough (average) and a good guy. I have seen this somewhere before.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments