Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

I Can't Defend Holtmann After That Loss

+30 HS
bsk33's picture
January 12, 2023 at 10:18pm
99 Comments

I know everyone is out in droves tonight with the where are the Holtmann apologists? How can you defend him now?

I am a Holtmann apologist. I was pretty damn happy with the first 3 years, just wish that 20' tourney didn't get canceled. I obviously did not like how the last two seasons ended, but I kinda gave him a pass because he had some brutal injury luck at the worst time.

But two issues have been hanging over this program the last two years: the defense (or lack there of) and the talent depth. They broughr in Jack Owens for the defense. They added a versatile defender in Ice and a shot blocker in Okpara. And our defense sucks once again. Our offense, which seemed to rely on too much isolation ball because the roater was so top heavy the last two years, is still playing that style despite having better secondary options to score.

But the worst part about tonight was the All Access. If I was a college recruit, I'd rather play for Ben Johnson based on tonight. The energy level was just flat all night for the Buckeyes. I just don't understand how Holtmann wasn't laying into his team at various pts of the game. And there was jst a lot of Holtmann turning to his assistants in disbelief and the assistants shrugging their shoulders. The whole vibe was terrible. And this coming off back to back losses. Just brutal to watch.

I'll probably sign off from this site for awhile after this. I sure hope they turn things around, but I don't have a lot of hope. I will say having 5 of the next 7 on the road may actually be a blessing because this team may need high energy buildings (and The Schott ain't that) rooting against them to wake their asses up.

I'm not gonna come back if they do miraculously turn it around and say "where are all the Holtmann haters?" though. Calling out parts of the fan base for being pro Holtmann or anti Holtmann seems like a bunch of toxic bull shit to me. Not gonna give up on this team. I'm a ride or die until the end and I do really like this roster.

But this is the first time I really questioned if Holtmann should be the guy at OSU. It hurts me to say it, but it is what it is.

Go Bucks

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 99 Comments