Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Gold Jerseys Now Awarded for MBB Sweep of TTUN

+11 HS
Floyd Stahl's picture
February 18, 2021 at 5:14pm
25 Comments

In a new tradition that just began last season, the members of the basketball team are now awarded gold jerseys for a season sweep of TTUN. The first trinkets were presented this past Christmas Eve at a team only gathering at Coach Holtmann's house to celebrate last season's accomplishment.

From the Columbus Dispatch article:

The idea came up in conversation shortly after Chris Holtmann was hired to replace Thad Matta during the summer of 2017. That fall, as the coaches saw the letter “M” crossed out across campus as the annual football rivalry game loomed, they bandied questions about whether they could find a way to emphasize the importance of beating Michigan on the hardwood.

That sparked a discussion about the tradition of Ohio State’s football players earning “gold pants” to celebrate each win against the Wolverines. Ideas for a basketball equivalent — a ball? a sneaker? — were debated, and director of basketball operations David Egelhoff reached out to the football program for details on how theirs are made.

Then came the next, and arguably biggest question: How can the team earn them in a sport with the potential for multiple matchups in a single season? With a 20-game Big Ten schedule, there is the real possibility that teams could meet twice in a season, as well as in the conference tournament.

“I wouldn’t be thrilled to get a (gold) jersey if I went 1-2 against Michigan,” Egelhoff said. “I go, ‘Fellas, we gotta sweep ‘em. You can’t have a loss against Michigan and get a gold jersey.' ”

Kudos to Holtmann and the program for beginning a great new tradition and giving the team additional incentive to top TTUN. This makes Sunday's game even more special as it is the only regular season meeting this season and the first time the two schools have met while both are ranked in the top five.

Here is the link to the article, but it is available to subscribers only.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/mens-basketball/2021/02/18/ohio-state-men...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments