Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Jamar Butler Eyeing Hoops Comeback

+9 HS
mockjocks's picture
February 18, 2021 at 3:55pm
16 Comments

Adam Jardy has a piece in the Dispatch on one of my favorite Buckeye hoopsters of all-time. Not sure what's all out there for him at his age, but excited to see he hasn't given up being on the court. 

Such an interesting career Jamar had at Ohio State - most of it gets lost in the timing of being sandwiched between the two best runs the program has had the past 25yrs. I was convinced Butler was destined to be a lottery pick after running the show the year Terrance Dials won B1G POY, and played alongside Je'Kel Foster. He was the only underclassman to start, and the league seemingly had every team with a top senior PG that he either outshined or played right with. I remember Deron Williams (Illinois) getting drafted in the top 5 that year - Jamar's game was virtually identical to Williams' game. I saw Jamar being the leader on the team the following season - with Greg Oden and the Thad 5 on the way. 

But we all now know that Mike Conley was anything but a "packaged deal" as terms for landing Oden - which a ton of the talk around town debated that spring. Could Conley actually play, or was it a product of him playing with Oden. Well by summer scrimmages it was clear that Conley was taking PG duties over Butler - who would slide to the shooting guard spot in the starting lineup. While Jamar was deadly from 3, his game was never aggressive enough to truly fulfill 2-guard duties. In what was a magical year for everyone, including Butler, it was a lost year as far as his pro prospects. 

He did the most with what he could leading the team his senior year. They really could've used Daequan Cook opting not to be 1-and-done the year prior. Tons of talent, but freshman Evan Turner was more Evan Turnover than the national POY he developed into. Diebs also had a normal freshman year with struggling to adjust to the college 3. Jamar and Kosta Kufos got screwed being a bubble team that burst - they were plenty good enough to be in the tourney that year, and proved it by running through the NIT. 

He left Ohio State with the all-time 3-pointers made record, the all-time assists record, weight room lifting records for guards (that may still stand), and I believe leading the nation in FT% his senior year. Too bad for him the greatest assist man (Craft) and designated sharp shooter (Diebler) the school as ever seen were right on his heels timing-wise - and those records didn't last but for a few seasons. 

Looking back, those 8-9 years truly were a golden era for Buckeye hoops. Here's to Jamar finding some level of success in his comeback, and to the current hoops squad kicking off new era of golden Buckeye hoops!

https://www.dispatch.com/story/mens-basketball/2021/02/18/ohio-state-gua...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 16 Comments