Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Predictions for the Final Stretch of the Regular Season

+1 HS
Bucks2K18's picture
February 13, 2021 at 10:17am
21 Comments

The BasketBucks have been on a roll lately, winning 5 in a row and 8 of the last 9. They have the most quad 1 wins, and as a result, are #4 in the AP poll and many braketologists are putting them as a one seed. But that could all fall apart down this last stretch

Starting today, we have

vs Indiana (12:00 ET ESPN)

at Penn State (2/18)

vs #3 TTUN (2/21)

at Michigan State (2/25)

vs #15 Iowa (2/28)

vs #6 Illinois (3/6)

It's manageable as 4 out of the 6 games are at home, but in the Big Ten, no games are gimmies. Indiana has won 2 games in a row after dropping their previous two games. Penn State has been putting up a Christmas tree record since winning against Northwestern on Jan 23, but they lost their most game to Michigan State. TTUN leads the conference, but has been on a COVID break. They are scheduled to play at Wisconsin tomorrow, but we'll see if that game is actually played. Michigan State has had a rough B1G season, but have won their last two games after losing 4 in a row, with a COVID break thrown in. Iowa has fallen off a little bit - losing 4 out of their last 6 - but they are still a dangerous team; Illinois has won their last 5, although they had a major scare against Nebraska (needing 2OT) to beat them; however, they are still a good team, and a currently tied with TTUN atop the Big Ten standings (don't ask me how, I have no idea how they figure that out with a big difference in the number of games played, so thankfully that's not my job to figure it out)

With a win today, Ohio State would also put themselves in a tie for the Big Ten lead, and have the current tiebreaker over Illinois. 

As for my predictions, I think we will go 5-1 to finish the season, only losing @MSU. Breslin Center is a difficult place to play, and the Spartans are always a good team in February and March. But the stretch will be highlighted by an exhilarating win over the rivals to the north.

vs Indiana - W 83-74

at Penn State - W 78-76

vs TTUN - W 90-88

at Michigan State - L 64-68

vs Iowa - W 86-79

vs Illinois - W 85-72

At the very least, this should get us to a #2 seed in the Big Ten tournament, but it might be good enough to get the #1 seed in the Big Ten tournament, and a really solid chance at a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. 

What are your predictions for this final stretch?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments