Plenty of mock drafts are being released and have been talked about here but Daniel Jeremiah released his first one. DJ has quite a bit more credibility as a former QB at App State and then a scout in the NFL for 10 years. He watches film of the on all of the prospects and talks to NFL guys to find out what they are seeing. Simply put his mock draft is a lot more realistic than many of the media one. First here are his thoughts on the draft class:
This class is weak in the top 10 but there are a lot of guys who would normally fit into the 15-25 range so throughout the second round there is really good talent. He believes receiver and offensive tackle are both incredible classes.
Some of the picks of note:
- #1 Jaguars-Evan Neal OT Bama, thinks Trent Baalke would rather take an offensive lineman to protect Lawrence who had a bit of a shaky year. The Jags are also in a decent spot with Josh Allen at EDGE
- #2 Lions-Aidan Hutchinson DE Michigan, one of the best fits in the draft. The Lions have been building up in the trenches and trying to build a tough team. Having Penei Sewell and Hutchinson is a good place to be.
- #3 Texans-Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame, DJ a bit higher on Hamilton than other mocks. Says he has a clean sheet with leadership, athletcisim, production, and versatility that are all elite.
- #4/10 Jets-Kayvon Thibedeux DE Oregon/Trent McDuffie CB Washington, DJ is a LOT lower on Thibs than other mocks. Concerned about a lack of bend and lower body stiffness but still is a really good prospect. Jets would be adding Thibs and Carl Lawson next year at EDGE rushers. McDuffie is somebody who has been at the bottom of other mock drafts but DJ has him as a top 10 player.
- #5/#7 Giants-Ikem Okwonu OL NC State/Devin Loyd LB Utah- DJ has Ikem as the best OL in the draft just isnt positive if he stays at OT. Interesting to see Loyd so high, he was a baller in the Rose Bowl and DJ sees him as somebody who could bring the value of a Micah Parsons as an elite LB who can do a lot of things and changes the personality of a defense.
- #6 Panthers- Ahmad Gardner CB UC, DJ has Gardner as a clear CB1. Said he is 6'2" a stud athletically and has no flaws in his game. Havent heard that from other mocks so really interesting to see.
- #8 Falcons-Traylon Burks WR Arkansas, surprised to see him as WR1 but at 6'3" 225 he is a matchup nightmare.
- #9 Broncos-Kenny Pickett QB Pitt, poor man's Joe Burrow.
- #12 Minnesota Vikings- Derrick Stingley CB LSU-Probably the most surprising pick is Stingley being this much lower. Said he is a near perfect athlete and his freshman film is incredible but he has been bad for the last two years, has 0 physicality to his game and refuses to tackle, and sounds like their are questions over his mentality. A bit of a project but probably the best athlete in the draft class.
- #13 Browns-Travon Walker EDGE UGA, believes Clowney will be gone and thinks Walker's athletic upside would make him an ideal fit opposite of Garrett. I would guess Browns fans want a receiver pretty bad with so many on the board. If they do resign Clowney that would probably be the focus.
- #18 Saints-Garrett Wilson WR OSU, Saints need a lot of help at receiver and the Michael Thomas situation is pretty murky. Getting another stud from OSU seems too easy. Would be really cool to see Wilson and Thomas together.
- #22 Raiders-Chris Olave WR OSU, Raiders lost Henry Ruggs and now have basically nothing on the outside. Great fit and Olave/Waller/Renfrow would be a solid trio.
- #29 Bengals-Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa, an absolute dream scenario for the Bengals. Trey Hopkins has struggled this year after returning from injury and the Bengals would be able to sit and take a very good prospect to solidfy the postiion. There has been a lot of talk of Linderbaum as a top 10 pick and DJ poured a lot of water on that. Center is a low priority position and while Linderbaum is a pretty elite prospect he is pretty small at just 6'3" 290(Thats what he is listed at he may have been even smaller). With so many good prospects at OT, WR, and CB how many teams will really want to expend their first rounder on a 290 pound C?
- #32 Chiefs-Jameson Williams WR Bama, Much more realistic position for Williams especially coming off a recent ACL tear. Still, could you imagine Williams with Tyreke Hill and Travis Kelce? Just ridiculous.