College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Could a Star QB Play for 3-4 Schools to Maximize His Earnings?

+6 HS
BrutusB's picture
July 29, 2021 at 1:16pm
26 Comments

I posted something similar in a comment yesterday, but hear me out, and please correct my logic if something is factually incorrect.

With the NIL money so large for star QBs who haven't even taken a snap (ie Young at Bama, Ewers at OSU), the actual cost of tuition is trivial.  Which means these guys don't actually need the scholarship.  Playing as a walk on would mean that they

a) don't count against the 85-limt

b) can transfer without penalty: (per NCAA)

Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

If a QB is hyped up enough to get that NIL money, he's also going to be good enough to be in demand from CFB head coaches.  A star player who helps his team wins games will obviously be popular with that team's fanbase/boosters as well, who would be happy to buy his jersey or sign him to more endorsement deals.

But why stop at ONE fanbase?  You could play for Lincoln Riley for 1-2 years, but when your favorite WRs all graduate or declare, call up Ryan Day for a year in Columbus, but then decide you miss the warm weather and fly on down to Florida.  You could even say the hell with winning games and focus on marketing / alumni bases and play for Notre Dame, Texas and USC.

Now this is probably never going to happen, but if you had asked me a month ago I wouldn't have guessed new kids would be bringing in 7-figures either.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments