College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Does Our Fanbase Overreact About Unfairness of NCAA Punishments?

-6 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture
December 10, 2020 at 12:27pm
79 Comments

The current LSU investigation and people's reactions to it inspired me to make this topic. By the way, LSU's investigation is still ongoing so any reactions to this point are still a bit premature. I feel we consistently see our fans refer to our punishment by the NCAA and how other teams seemingly get away with "breaking the rules", but is that reality?

Let's get one thing out of the way - yes, it was "tattoos", but we DID break NCAA rules, got caught, and deserved punishment.

If what our fans suggest is so true, then we should address the following punishments:

1) 2005 Oklahoma had to vacate their season and 2 scholarship spots, because "two players were paid for work they had not performed at a car dealership".

2) Notre Dame's appeal of an NCAA decision to vacate all 21 victories from the 2012 and 2013 seasons was denied, after five former Irish football players — Ishaq Williams, Kendall Moore, Eilar Hardy, Davaris Daniels and KeiVarae Russell — were suspended prior to the 2014 season for academic misconduct.

3) The NCAA threw the book at storied USC with a two-year bowl ban, four years' probation, loss of scholarships and forfeits of an entire year's games for improper benefits to Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush dating to the Trojans' 2004 national championship.

4) 2019 Mizzou was banned from competing in a bowl game as part of penalties announced Thursday by the NCAA following an investigation into academic fraud committed by a former tutor.

The NCAA acknowledged North Carolina was guilty of their academic fraud scheme, but a weird loophole in the rules (other non-student athletes were allowed to take the fraudulent classes), showed they did NOT actually break rules and prevented the NCAA from being able to punish them. I can point to many other examples.

OSU hid domestic violence (Zach Smith) and reinstated a player with a charge for it (Storm Klein).

Sometimes transparency goes a long way. Will Grier took a supplement you can get from GNC that is not on the banned substance list (but not on the approved list either, which makes it banned) and Florida kicked him out of the school despite the NCAA saying he was only suspended for one year. He was probably going to win the Heisman there.

Meanwhile, Ohio State attempted to get Noah Spence (drugs) reinstated before the appeal was denied by the Big Ten.

I feel like our fanbase does not take things like this into consideration. Am I missing something? Do we tend to have a victim mentality and a "woe is me" attitude? I am curious to hear responses. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 79 Comments