College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Coaching Carousel Predictions

+5 HS
grahamkamp's picture
December 2, 2020 at 12:32am
69 Comments

Not gonna lie, I don't even know if anyone has ever called it the "coaching carousel" in real life, or if that's just the best part of NCAA Football 14, where my legendary coach would switch teams every year and unsurprisingly win a championship with subpar talent. Regardless, I thought it would be fun to predict who is fired, and who replaces them/who replaces the replacements.

That Team Up North (don't say the official name or it's a downvote)

I am of the few that believe Harbaugh does not get fired this season, and actually gets a 2 year extension. I think their administration likes "*ichigan Men" too much and the hopes of keeping McCarthy and landing Donovan Edwards are enough to keep him around.

If he were to leave though, I think there are 2 names that have stood out to me while these rumors swirl. First one being Matt Campbell from Iowa State, he's on track to have a chance to win the Big 12 this year, and TTUN could throw the bag at him. He's a native Ohioan who coached at Mount Union and Toledo, but jobs like this don't come around to often. Second name is Hugh Freeze, succeeding at Liberty after coaching from a hospital bed just a year ago. He's turned his career around.

If Campbell is hired, Buffalo's Lance Leipold is my pick to replace him at Iowa State. If Freeze is hired, I have no clue who has any allegiance to Liberty.

Texas - Tom Herman

There are yet again rumors with Herman that the AD is calling recruits to tell them Herman will stay, and that he will be back. If he beat Iowa State last week I would 100% believe that, but he didn't of course. If he were to get fired, the Texas fans would be all in on trying to lure Urban Meyer away from his Fox gig, I just don't see it. Steve Sarkisan has some baggage but I think this would be a good pick for Texas to target. Another potential pick not many people talk about is Clemson OC Tony Elliott.

USC - Clay Helton

This is where I think Urban comes in to play, the weakest league in the power 5, with the best talent in your backyard, with little local competition. All with the biggest stage in LA. If USC fires Helton I think this is the best fit for Urban to go. I wouldn't mind seeing this happen either as long as he doesn't poach Marotti and Pantoni (Not confident he wouldn't). If he doesn't accept though, I could see USC making a move for Mario Cristobal to move from Oregon, or Joe Brady former LSU OC from last season

LSU - Ed Orgeron

Most people probably think I am stupid by even throwing this name on the list, but if the sexual assault allegations rise (they won't it's in the south) and he continues to struggle this year. LSU could get rid of him, in which case Joe Brady returns to LSU to become the head coach. 

One name people are probably surprised to see not mentioned is Luke Fickell, and quite honestly I just cannot see Fickell matching up very well at these programs. I won't be surprised if he leaves Cincinatti but I won't be surprised if he stays, yet again these are just my opinions and really have no traction to them. I'm sure the keyboard warriors will have a few things to say about some of these picks but I just did it for fun. So I hope you enjoyed reading them

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 69 Comments