College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

My Thoughts On Fields

+70 HS
BrutusB's picture
January 3, 2019 at 12:06pm
41 Comments

There are three main types of fields we could use going forward: natural soil, modified soil, and soilless medium.

Obviously, natural soil is the easiest. Due to their high base exchange capacity, they hold adequate nutrients resulting in relatively simple maintenance fertilization programs. They also have high water holding capacity, eliminating the absolute necessity but not the desirability of having an irrigation system.

Modified soil fields have had a coarse physical amendment, such as sand, mixed uniformly with the existing soil are modified soil fields. Properly modified soils will have better internal drainage and less susceptibility to compaction, compared to unmodified soils.

Soilless fields offer a number of advantages over natural or modified soil fields. If the proper sand size is used these fields will have excellent internal drainage, eliminating the need to crown the field and to have open perimeter catch basins. Soilless fields do require internal drainage tile within the playing area to remove the water that rapidly percolates through the sand.

I don't know what we'll decide to do going forward.  But I trust Day to make whatever decision he thinks is best for the team.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 41 Comments